Sunday 4 April 2010

The Last Supper?



Short post, inspired by the last few services I've gone to at the church in Ardrossan. On Thursday we used the projector and had a few images to go along with the words for the songs, the liturgy etc. One of them was the image shown above, used when the Last Supper was discussed.

Now, is it just me or does this look distinctly unlike The Last Supper? It put me off a little whenever it came up - I kept thinking: "But that's the Supper At Emmaus, surely?". It turns out it's called The Last Supper of Jesus Christ and it's by an artist called Vladimir... whoever he is. Now, we must all agree that this is not, by any real stretch of the imagination, THE Last Supper - I mean, where are the other eight disciples? In the bathroom? At the bar? No, this is pretty clearly The Supper at Emmaus which, I suppose, can also be called The Last Supper of Jesus Christ - after all, it is the last recorded incident in the Bible of Christ breaking bread with anyone.

I did tell the vicar today that it wasn't (strictly speaking) a Last Supper painting, just to be a smart-ass as usual, and he blamed it on the other vicar... I assume they're both vicars. Either way, I mentioned it because, as an art historian, it's my job to point these things out. I wonder why they didn't go with the traditional Leonardo? Perhaps I should have suggested my favourite:


The Last Supper Nicolas Poussin, 1640s

On an unrelated note - I'm watching Howl's Moving Castle; I didn't think it would be as good as Spirited Away but, apart from the slightly wooden girl doing the voice of 'Young Sophie', it's really good! I think I still prefer Spirited Away but I'm glad I gave this a chance.

1 comment:

  1. It's good that you're doing your job, pointing these things out, I've been doing it to lecturers since last year :P

    ReplyDelete